Fashion Friday: What Not to Wear to a White House Correspondent’s Dinner
The idea that there is even one big night where celebrities get up on stage and talk to/make fun of the president, is one of those ridiculous only-in-Americuhh sort of notions. What is more ridiculous is what some of these celebrities wear to meet the most important figure in American politics. The White House Correspondent’s Dinner is a weird night in Hollywood, where worlds collide, not to mention a great fashion post. So for the record, here are a list of things I would not wear to a White House Correspondent’s Dinner:
- A dress where my ladies will greet the president before I do. Rosario Dawson, I’m looking at you, girl!
- An ugly bejeweled lavender dress. Zooey Deschanel. I don’t really think I need to explain this.
- A dress made entirely of lace from head to toe. Charlize Theron had the right parts covered, but this dress did her no favors.
- A green velvet dress. I’m pretty sure I wore one of these dresses to a Christmas party when I was 7 or 8. After 13, velvet is no longer allowed.
- An informal yellow dress with tights. When you’re in a room having a dinner with all of Hollywood AND the president, you have to multiply the formal wear x2. Alicia Keys didn’t get the memo.
- Actually, just a short dress in general. Formal means floor length! If you’re not going to dress up for the president, who the hell is there left to dress formal for? My distaste for Sofia Vergara continues.
- A dress made entirely of sequins. Okay, honestly, I REALLY love this look on Kate Hudson, but when dining with the president, I have to say a gown o’sequins just wouldn’t be my first choice. I LOVE the hair and accessories, however. This is an updo that’s acceptable to see the president with!
There were a few gals who get it right. Reese Witherspoon looked stunning in black, with her perfect little baby bump. I’m loving the old Hollywood hair throw back. This look is a perfect ten! If I were going to the White House Correspondents Dinner, I think a super classic elegant black dress makes for a great choice. I would have also loved to see some royal blue, the dems are in the office, after all!